Monday, February 10, 2014

The Overview Effect; Your Brain on Awe

Have you ever had the experience of feeling your perspective change, in almost a visceral way? After watching this video, I'm a changed person. You might end up that way, too.
As you watch The Overview Effect, you'll see glorious, fragile Earth from the International Space Station, with a narration by some of the astronauts who filmed it. At about the four-minute mark, you'll see thunderstorms, and then the aurora borealis. At about 6:30 you'll hear that the astronauts, while not working, tend to lose themselves in "earthgazing." At 11:10, astronaut Edgar Mitchell says he was both excited and troubled by a certain effect he'd experienced in space, and upon his return, asked a local university if they could find a name for it. They did. It's called salva corpus amanti, which, in this context means, "You see things...with your eyes but you experience them emotionally and viscerally with ecstasy and a sense of totally unity and oneness."
This morning on my way to an appointment, the fog was breaking up, still drifting over newly-green fields in our rural area. Sun began to come through, as well as a bit of blue sky. I watched the cars in front of me rolling along, and I marveled that they stuck to the road instead of floating off into space. I considered my priorities for the day and realized how unimportant they are, and I am. We little ant-people, bustling about on our lovely blue planet, rarely stop to realize how small it all is. This is the after-effect of the video, for me. As I watched the film and heard the transcendent music, I felt tenderness and gratitude for Earth's generosity, and fear for her vulnerability. I'm sure that my being almost sixty adds depth to my appreciation. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment